Bulking for Skinny Guys, By Skinny Guys
All three of us are naturally skinny, we've each gained 50–70 pounds, and we've been helping skinny guys build muscle full-time for the past ten years. We've also been named one of the ten best men's health blogs by Medical News Today, we've been on CTV and WHYY (NPR), and our work has been referenced by Psychology Today, ZME Science, and Big Think. Helping skinny guys build muscle is what we do best, and we do it better than anyone else on the internet.
Our clients have ranged from physicians, dieticians, professional athletes, and our Canadian Olympic rugby team. What we're most proud of, though, is helping over 10,000 members and our millions of readers go from skinny to muscular. That's our passion, and it's what we're best at: helping everyday skinny dudes build strong, powerful physiques.
I'm Shane Duquette (centre), the co-founder and creative lead of Bony to Beastly, with a degree in Design (BDes) from York University. I do the illustrations, most of the writing, and most of the design. I'm a desk worker, an art nerd, a husband, and a father. I blew up in the bulking scene when I gained 55 pounds of muscle in just over two years, naturally and at 11% body fat. (You can read more about me here.)
Marco Walker-Ng (left) brings the expertise. He has a Bachelor's degree in Health Sciences from the University of Ottawa (BHSc), he’s a certified personal training specialist (PTS), and he’s certified to give diet advice through Precision Nutrition (PN). Marco also has over ten years of experience working as a strength and conditioning coach, and he's personally gained over sixty pounds, naturally and at under 10% body fat. He's got a second degree in fine arts. (You can read more about Marco here.)
Jared Polwick (right) handles the tech and design. While testing the alpha version of our Bony to Beastly Program, Jared gained 33 pounds in three months. In 2019, Jared created his own site, Outlive, with the goal of helping the general public improve their general health. He still does much of the tech and design for Bony to Beastly.
Your own results may vary. You shouldn't expect to get quite the same results as us. Even among the three of us, we all built muscle at different paces and wound up in different places.
What we're trying to say is we've been there and done this, we've helped thousands of other naturally skinny guys bulk up, and we're professionally qualified to help you do it, too. Will you look exactly like us? No. But we can help you build muscle, gain strength, and build a lean and powerful physique. You'll become the best version of you.
(If you want to learn more about how Shane gained 55 pounds, how Jared gained 45 pounds, and how Marco gained 63 pounds, here are our ectomorph transformation stories.)
The Bony to Beastly Team
As our business has bulked up, so has our team. All of us are naturally skinny, and we've all personally succeeded at building muscle.
If you send us an email, Sunny will get back to you as promptly as he can. Then, if you sign up for our Bony to Beastly Bulking Program, you'll meet SteveM and DanielK in the member community. SteveM helps Marco and I coach people through the program, and DanielK moderates the community and helps people track their progress.
We're The Bulking Site for Skinny Guys
Only around 3% of people are trying to gain weight. Statistically speaking, that makes us pretty weird. Who wants to learn about eating more and getting bigger, right? Well, we do.
Ectomorphs have unique challenges:
- The Small Stomach Problem: Feeling stuffed, bloated, or sick when we try to eat more food. Or being physically unable to fit enough food in our stomachs. (Here's how to eat more calories.)
- The Hardgainer Problem: Not being able to gain weight no matter what we try. Sometimes we even lose weight when trying to bulk up. (This article explains why that happens.)
- Skinny-Fat Purgatory: Successfully gaining weight… only to realize that we're just getting fatter. (Here's our article for skinny-fat guys.)
- The Newbie-Gain Plateau: Quickly gaining 10 pounds, plateauing, and then the weight disappearing as soon as we get sick, stressed, or go on vacation. (Here's how to break past plateaus and make your newbie gains more permanent.)
- Skinny-Paralysis: Wanting to bulk up, but feeling so far behind and so overwhelmed that we get stuck in the "research" phase for years. (Our ectomorph bulking program gives you a full plan.)
We ran into all of those issues personally, and we coach guys through them every single day.
Our Approach to Bulking
We believe in leveraging science, expertise, and experience.
- Marco has a degree in health sciences (BHSc), is a certified personal training specialist (PTS), is qualified to give nutrition advice (PN), he interned with Eric Cressey, MKin, and he's currently continuing his education with Zac Cupples, Ph.D.
- We've all gained over fifty pounds of muscle and still have abs. When it comes to bulking, we've been there and eaten that.
- Marco has ten years of experience as a top strength and conditioning coach, working with clients both in person and online.
- We look into every significant muscle-building study that gets published, and we're signed up for every high-quality research review: ERD, MASS, AARR, Weightology, and S&C Research.
- Our bulking program has been tested on over ten thousand clients and has been refined and updated for over ten years now.
Strength and size. We aren't interested in helping you become strong for your size. We're interested in helping you become big and strong. That's an important distinction for skinny guys, given that we start off smaller. That's also why classic strength training tends to be a bad option for us.
We bridge the gap between health and aesthetics. One of the things we're famous for is our approach to aesthetics. We believe in developing conspicuous strength and health. We want to help you build a strong, healthy body that also looks strong and healthy.
Most strength programs are focused on the squat, deadlift, and bench press, which is great for developing the lower body and spinal erectors, but inevitably leads to physiques with limited upper-body size and strength.
Most bodybuilding programs suffer from focusing too little on the big compound lifts. They're great for developing individual muscles, but they do an inefficient job of making guys big and strong.
We want a program built around big compound lifts that includes plenty of upper-body work and allows us to build muscle quickly, leanly, and efficiently.
To do that, we take a Big Five approach to bulking:
- The squat (goblet, front, and high-bar)
- The deadlift (conventional and trap-bar)
- The bench press (dumbbell or barbell)
- The overhead press (dumbbell or barbell)
- The chin-up (underhand)
These aren't the only lifts we do, but these are the movements we focus on becoming strong at. For example, we also do plenty of rows, but they're used as an accessory lift for the deadlift. And you'll also be doing biceps curls, of course, but they're used as an accessory lift for the chin-up.
Marco also builds our programs to improve posture. That doesn't necessarily require dedicated posture work, just a lifting program that develops the muscles that hold our bodies in the correct position.
By the time you gain your first twenty pounds, we want you to be standing taller, lifting heavier, sleeping more soundly, and looking far better.
You'll have a smile as broad as your shoulders.
We stand behind everything we sell with a full guarantee. No matter how skinny you are, and no matter how many times you've failed in the past, we promise that we can help you build muscle. If you're in any way unsatisfied, we have an unconditional 90-day refund policy.